Tuesday 9 April 2013

Feeling Nostalgic today..........


 The other day I was busy looking for an drawing that my dad drew many  years ago. It is very special to me as my dad had an accident when I was 12 years old and he died from his injuries.

While trying to remember where I had put them,(I knew they were safe, but it just wasn't where I thought I had left them), I came across a box with all my old cards, and letters, and love letters from Hubby back when we were courting. Along with my diary. Well I sat down and began reading, and I was taken back. 

It's no wonder I married this man, as he was so sweet and romantic, and just plain yummy. I had forgotten just how much he had poured out his heart to me. He swept me off my feet.

I cried, and I laughed, and I couldn't stop grinning. I was on a mushy high for several days.

Which lead me to looking for these pictures. I started to Google the places of my youth, the places that meant special things to me, and I would like to share them with you.



Sydney- Centre Point Tower
over looking the harbour.


 Inside the tower on the top floor.


This is the sight of our first 'Un-Offical' date. This young man basically told me I had to be in the car that morning. He and my brother were friends you see. They along with another mate of ours, were going to see the big ships coming into the harbour. The Queen was there, I do remember seeing Prince Phillip. I forget now what the occasion was. All I remember is this guy whom I'd crushed on for weeks had asked me to go somewhere with them, and he really wanted me to be there. REALLY.

I remember begging my mum to let me go, stating that my brother would be there to watch out for me.

Well my brother didn't do much for me that day. I now realise he was in on the act. I had no money, and with all the excitement of just being allowed to go into the city without a parent, I was just more concerned as to what to wear. Well a girl needs to think of these important things at 17!

Thankfully, my crush, bought me lunch, and drinks, and even paid for me to go to the top of the tower to view the harbour. I had never been there. Way too expensive for my mother. He then on the journey home, sat in the back seat of the car with me while my brother rode shot gun, as our other mate drove us home. 

The whole ride home, which was an hour and a half, he played 'The Cars' greatest hits, and sang and acted out the words, and made me giggle all the way home. I don't even remember what my brother and his mate were doing in the front. Most probably rolling their eyes!


The Regent Cinema


The venue of our first real date. He asked me to the movies to see 'ALIENS'. I know, not the most romantic of flicks, but he is a huge 'Alien' fan, and he couldn't wait to see it. 

I remember he came to pick me up, and we went back to his house where he cooked me dinner. I couldn't help, I had to sit in the lounge room and watch TV. I was really nervous. It was my first proper alone real date.

I had never been to his house alone before, and not has his girlfriend. I wasn't sure if he was going to try anything I wasn't ready for.

But true to his promise, he was a complete and utter gentleman. I wore my red dress, with white heels. I had a body to die for back then.  Not that I appreciated it till now. I thought of myself as fat. Silly , silly girl! His face when he saw me made my skin tingle.

I remember it was cold, and he took off his jacket and let me wear it. 


Wollongong Harbour

Just to the right of this picture is a children's playground. The night of my graduation we went there with a bunch of friends. We had been to a party, and I had been drinking the nicest orange juice I had ever tasted. It was 3 am, and we were all very happy to be finally over with school. I wanted a turn on the kiddy horse and I knocked my now hubby right off it. You see I was a wee bit tipsy. Never had I drank before, and a few of my male 'FRIENDS' thought it would be a hoot to spike my juice with VODKA! I was so sick the next day. Thankfully it didn't hurt the relationship any, and my then boyfriend took good care of my hangover the next day.


The Mall


So many Thursday nights after school dates spent here walking around, having a bite to eat, and looking at the shops. Stealing a kiss or two. Good times. It was also where he bought Ric Ocasek's new single "Emotion in Motion" which was the song he was playing the first time a told him I loved him.

 Wollongong harbour


Many hours spent here. The harbour where we would get Mr Whippy ice-cream, and wander about the rock pools, and talk, and talk for hours. We would sit in the picnic huts near the light house and make out.




 Towradgi Pools



The pool where we lay on beach towels for hours listening to music, and talking, and kissing, and made loving gooey eyes at each other until we both were lobster red with the worst sunburn I have ever had in my LIFE! We are talking blisters on and in my ears, and all over, and the same with him. Important lesson learned for both of us that day. SUN-BLOCK!



Very near the section of the beach where my then boyfriend was trying to teach me to skim stones across the water. Well I found a great stone, and I stood and threw it has I'd been shown across the water. I looked out to the sea and I couldn't understand why I didn't see my stone make it's bounce, or splash into the water. 

My boyfriend was standing a fair way behind me, and I turned to him,puzzled over where the stone had gone. I saw him laying on the ground, both hands clutched around his 'best friend', and he was in utter pain. 

It took me several seconds to work out what had happened. When I did I couldn't stop laughing. It wasn't that I was happy I had defied the laws of physics, it is just that when I do something, even though I am really sorry, sometimes I can't help laugh. I couldn't have planned it. It was just a freak fluke. One I have never been allowed to forget. It still makes me laugh.


Even to this day I am banned from skimming stones anywhere near him.



Pay back came a year later when just past these pools, we were looking at rock pools, and my darling boyfriend, yells over to me that he found us some lunch. 

I look up and see a dead seagull coming towards me. Now the fact that it was dead and yuck is one thing, but you see I also have a fear of birds. So I SCREAMED, and fell into a rock pool resulting in my ankle spraining. He felt so bad. He carried me off the beach and took me straight to the doctors. I wasn't mad, it was funny. Well not in those first few seconds, but later, when my foot was all bandaged up, and we were cuddling watching videos.

Kiama Blow Hole



Getting ready...1...2...3...




BLOW!


Many happy weekend drives here. We have nothing like this here were we live now. Even as a kid, my parents would drive down the coast to this beach just to see the blow hole. 




Broker's Nose


I lived at the bottom of this mountain, and it was the view from my back yard.


One day, my now hubby took me bush walking and we walked to the very top. It was a fantastic day. We had lunch on the trail, and I had to even go pee in the bush. That wasn't fun, and it took  a lot of convincing from my man that it would be safe, and OK. In the end my bladder won, and following his careful instructions, I didn't end up with wet pants!


The view from the top, was well worth the few hours climb. My childhood home was down there. We kissed up there, and I think we may have even added our initials to the rock. It was a day I will never forget. For that night was the first time I experienced my first orgasm. I do believe even hubby still has fond memories of that day.


Honey Moon bay

The beach where we spent the most romantic day of our lives. WHY I hear you ask?

Well....................


..............................see this light house. It is the light house at Jervis Bay. The beach is a short drive down the hill. Just to the left of this picture is a fence. Just over that fence something very magical happened.



Here, on the very top, my boyfriend, who I loved with all my heart, took me to have what I though was going to be a special picnic.


Here ever close to the edge, we sat. As you can see it is a long way down. I don't think people are supposed to go past the fence, but that is were we were.
He during our lunch, and between fits of giggles, and romantic kisses, he got up and cleared a space on our rug. He then got down on one knee. He then asked me to marry him, in the most loving speech I have ever heard him speak. He handed me a small black velvet box and place it in my hand.
I was speechless, which for me is something, and I had happy tears in my eyes.

I think I made him nervous as I didn't say anything at first.

"Well??" he nervously asked.

"YES............YES........YES...........YES..........YES!"

I nervously opened the box, fearful I wouldn't like the ring. I have very simple tastes, and I do not like BIG ROCKS. I didn't have anything to do with the choosing of this ring. 

It was BEAUTIFUL. PERFECT. I couldn't have chosen anything better myself.

We joke about the place now. He tells me if I had said no, he would have pushed me off! I think he is joking?? lol



Three years later, we got married here at my church, and childhood school. I wasn't a nervous bride, and I couldn't wait to get down that long aisle and stand next to my man. He was grinning like he won the lottery, and I believe I may have been too.



We don't live here any more, and I wonder if we will ever see it again. But I will never forget were it all began.



The rest as they say is history.

(all pictures provided thanks to Google)  


4 comments:

  1. I didnt realise you guys started off together in Sydney.
    Thank you for sharing this lovely story

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading. Yes we were both born in Wollongong. We have only been here for the past 14-15 years.

      I can't seem to put my old diary down. The loves, the tears, and joy, it is really interesting to see how I grew up.

      One thing is for sure I was madly, deeply, crazy in love with my man, and I still am today.

      Delete
  2. What a thoroughly enjoyable post, Criss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Don.

      I have discovered through my diary rants that there were many things I had forgotten, and who knows, I may still share some with you all. MAYBE??

      Delete