Saturday 15 September 2012

Grammar Police!


I have a question for you all today.

A customer complained that our Kid's Trolley sign was grammatically wrong.
He said it should not have the comma before the S. I am not sure. Is it wrong?? 


Another one said the sign should say Child Trolleys, as Kid meant baby goat, and legally if someone brought in a baby goat , we would be legally unable to turn them out! 

This same guy also said our store brochure, the one we hand out to customers letting them know about the changes, (the store has just had a huge makeover, so I think people can tell), is discriminating towards disabled people. 

Why I hear you ask? Because the first line reads, "Walking into our store you might notice some changes..."  

"WALKING" He said it was offensive to wheelchair people. Honestly I really don't think they mind. They are happy the aisles are all nice and wide now. 

It is funny how people can get uptight over such little things.

Working in retail you really do meet some characters.

Let me know what you think about our sign. Should it read "KID'S TROLLEYS" or "KIDS TROLLEYS" ?????

Keep smiling and have a nice day.....

5 comments:

  1. Some may disapprove, but "kid" is commonly used these days instead of child. "Kid" is singular, thus "KID'S TROLLEYS" indicate one child's trolleys. It should have read "KIDS' TROLLEYS" to indicate there are trolleys available for more than one child. Or it could have read "TROLLEYS FOR KIDS". But who gives a damn, anyway? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well thank you Don. Seems like the man was right. I have this same argument on face book. ^_^

    Someone stated that, and I quote: "The use of the apostrophe to show possession is correct. The guy is an idiot and if he has children, then you know where they are going to go wrong."

    I think these days it's a blessing they can read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the joys of working in customer service....all the nutters

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh boy we do get our fair share don't we? I also had a guy tell me that touching the self serve screens a certain number of times will do something nasty to me. He was so sure some kind of transmitter would send something to my brain, or body. He wasn't going anywhere near them. I told him if that was the case then I am already doomed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like this guy has way too much free time!

    ReplyDelete